Old 09-25-12, 09:39 AM
bikefor2

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Experience Plus ??

Originally Posted by Mainframeguy
Stoker and I are getting hitched next May and were hoping to take a honeymoon in Corsica and take a supported cycle break, with a tandem provided out there.

Note that half bikes are simply not an option (stoker partially sighted). Budget and preferences mean we cannot consider transporting a coupled frame either, we need the bike in situ.

The people we initially approached (called "Europe Active" at "cycling-corsica.com") have just sold their tandem, are not replacing it, and want to charge us about 240 euros extra transportation if they source the tandem from elsewhere! Our budget is already stretched, so not sure this is an option.

I thought I would approach the forum in general and tandem riders especially since just maybe some of you have been there or have some knowledge.

Stoker and I were saying that if we knew of a honeymooning couple who wanted to borrow a tandem we would lend our out, so just maybe there's even a tandem owning couple from Corsica on the forum! We would happily reciprocate and lend ours should they be visiting London and wish to ride!

At the risk of seeming "fussy" perhaps I should say I think my partner would not be comfortable on an out and out "road" tandem, she is used to a hybrid with a fairly upright riding position etc. Fortunately, perhaps, we are a fairly averagely sized pair captain at 5' 11" and stoker at 5' 4".

Any and all advice and assistance appreciated.
This is a long shot, but there is a tour company called Experience Plus that does do tours of Corsica. When we recently inquired about one of their trips starting in Germany they told me they had hybrid tandems to rent. It sounds like your budget won't allow you to hire the company for a Corsica tour, but perhaps there will be a situation whereby they might have one of their tandems available for you to rent? I think you'd need to explain your situation to them and hope the person you are talking to is helpful. Otherwise maybe they are familiar enough with the area that they might know of another place to rent a tandem. I have not personally used this company, but they have been in business for 40 years (started by a guy in Colorado but expanded all over the world) and they seem to be highly regarded.

http://www.experienceplus.com/tours/tours.html?tid=519

Good luck.