Old 09-26-12, 07:58 AM
bbeasley
Cat 5 field stuffer

Bikes: Wabi Lightning RE, Wabi Classic

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 3 Posts
I would strongly encourage you to not work on speed at all. The old Internet rule of no more than 10% increase in distance per week has kept me mostly injury free. I run where I can maintain an aerobic heart rate and no faster. What I notice is I end up going faster at the same heart rate but it takes time. My other piece of advice is if you feel the slightest bit of discomfort, stop immediately and rest until it's completely gone. I've gone a week between runs because something didn't feel quite right. IMO running is not the place to "Go for it", "Push through the Pain", or "Rule #5.

I think most of us use our cardio to tell us when we're tired and should stop. Your skeleton and connective tissues take much longer to adapt to running than your cardio. So if you're using cardio to tell you to stop, you can be over stressing the rest of your body. Give yourself a chance to get used to the pounding.

I'm 5'8" and 202 lbs. I started running 7 months ago, at 210 lbs, and have completed 3 triathlons with 5k runs. I'm very slow, 11 min miles, but having fun doing it. Running has helped, speed wise, with my cycling.

Oh yeah, get fitted for a good pair of running shoes by a professional.

Have fun and stay injury free!