sarals 
Idiot Emeritus

Bikes: Yes.

Mentioned: 228 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 331 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by shovelhd
The thing about 20 minute tests is that they're 20 minutes. They hurt during and after but you won't feel it much the next day. I don't go all out. I do the first 2 minutes at about 80%, then ramp it to a pace that I think I can hold for 15 minutes, and then go all out in the last minute with whatever is left. I start having trouble breathing and seeing straight at the 15 minute point.
Coach told me pretty much the same thing, Shovel. He did say towards the end I should be about ready to collapse (or something to that effect). I have a feeling I'll start running into trouble right after I ramp up from 80%, especially if my warmup isn't adequate. With that in mind, I plan to ride to the road I'm going to use, which should give me a good thirty minutes of work (with some climbing) before I start the FTP test. Frame of mind has a lot to do with it with me - this is one of those things that I HAVE to do, like a race, and if I get into trouble or not, I'll give coach 20 minutes of effort.

The local ambulance is AMR. You might note that....