View Single Post
Old 09-26-12, 10:37 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5781 Post(s)
Liked 2,576 Times in 1,427 Posts
Originally Posted by onespeedbiker
That's what I would have assumed also (no corrosion, bolt and washers wire brushed with a Dremel tool with a drop of oil) but the unthreaded portion of the bolt does not extend beyond the derailleur, as it normally would to stop the bolt from locking up the derailleur.
Something is wrong. The correct bolt is a "shoulder bolt" and the shoulder should end just beyond (barely) the inner face of the body. It's possible that you have the wrong bolt, or someone stuck a washer under the head, or the shoulder is worn/rolled back a bit from prior over tightening. There is no stop cam, the RD butts directly against the dropout.

What may be an issue is that hangers of the era had a raised seat for the RD (similar to many modern crank arms) with the rest of the hanger recessed a bit. Without that seat, the body may be rubbing elsewhere on the hanger. You might try a thin 10mm washer between the RD and hanger, and if the shoulder is still recessed too far, a small shim washer with an OD small enough to pocket into the body to prevent the bolt from going in as far. Otherwise, if you only need a few thousandths of an inch, you can file the inner face of the upper body back to establish the correct relationship to the shoulder bolt.

If still not right, post a photo of the RD taken from the back showing the inner face of the bole and upper body together.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.