Daves_Not_Here
On your right

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix Elite

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by gmt13
If you are in a position to yield to traffic (as the poster described) your responsibility is to yield to all traffic (including pedestrians and salmons) regardless of the direction from which they come. I have no sympathy for the driver and my sympathy for a salmon extends only to their lack of brainpower.

I'm thinking though that the cyclist may have been crossing using the cross walk, perhaps stretching the light a bit. Most drivers making rights on red are looking left and not right so it's a good chance that he would have clipped a pedestrian too.

-G
I can't quote the vehicle code, but I think the responsibility to avoid collisions with the wrong-way drivers rests primarily with the wrong-way driver.

I base this on my personal experience of having hit a pedestrian with my car. I pulled into a crosswalk and got T-boned by a rollerblader coming off the sidewalk from my right. We got into a verbal altercation, she called the cops, they showed up. They finally told her to shut up and move on or she was going to jail. No ticket for me.

Total damage to my car was lipstick on the window.