Daves_Not_Here
On your right

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix Elite

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by genec
How do you get that they have the ROW? In CA motorists are supposed to merge with cyclists to make a right turn. (motorists are required to turn right from as close to the curb as possible) In Oregon, motorists are supposed to give way to cyclists. In either case, the motorist just passed the cyclist to make the turn.
I could be wrong in Rootman's particular situation -- I was speaking about these kinds of situations in general (car unexpectedly stops, blocking a cyclist, when the cyclist had expected the car to proceed -- I think that's what the OP had described).

In the case of the OP, I think the car may have had the ROW. I don't know how far ahead the car was after the recent pass, but I think once they are ahead, they can then pull to the right, close to the curb, proceed to turn, and in doing so, they have the ROW. If they become alert to a potential hazard (such as right-hooking a cyclist), they can then stop even if it means they block an approaching cyclist.

I guess that's my general point -- sometimes cars stop unexpectedly. Usually, it's to prevent a collision. This is a good thing, although occasionally a cyclist may have to react.