Old 09-30-12, 01:31 AM
Heatherbikes

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
upright bar brake levers for small hands, suggestions.

Not sure if this is a general cycling question, but imagine bike mechanics would know what's out there. I have small hands, but I've also become more and more timid over the years. It's mostly because I am usually riding on a scary narrow highway, and even on side roads cars speed. I tend to freak out and use the brakes alot. I have deore lx v brake levers on one bike and fairly easy to grab, but in general I have noticed it is hard to reach the brakes and my hands ache horribly while going down the big long hills of my area. I feel safer if I know I can grab the levers easily, so usually have my fingers on them all the time, instead of wrapped around the handlebar grips. If I do try and ride with my hands on the grips and have to brake suddenly, it usually requires a bit of fumbling to reach the brakes. I have just finished my drum brake IGH bike, and the brake levers I used are really big and hard to reach. They are 'miranda classic' and were given to me by a bike mechanic who said they were best for drum brakes. They are strong, well made and have lots of leverage. I have a set of velo orange city brake levers that have about the same reach as the mirandas. My hands ache trying to reach, but also constantly trying to have my fingers on them when needed. I'd like to try wean off the brake habit. But can you recommend really great strong small hand brakes for drum brakes as well as side pull etc?

I dare not even attempt drop bars, although those little cyclocross levers look easy. But what's the point of drop bars if I just ride on the tops?

Last edited by Heatherbikes; 09-30-12 at 01:35 AM. Reason: missed info