Old 08-16-05, 10:49 AM
Dahon.Steve

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 261 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by Machka
1. Do you get all your food from a garden and from the livestock on your farm or acreage? Or do you buy your food from the grocery store?

If the oil prices go up, that will affect the farmers who have to pay out fuel to do their harvesting and other work, and it will affect the people who deliver the food to your grocery store, as well as many other industries in between. Food prices will go up.

2. Are you planning to purchase any large items in the next year? If so, how are you planning to get that item home? A delivery service maybe? Or a taxi?

If the oil prices go up, those delivery services and taxis will start charging more.

3. Are you planning a trip somewhere? Got any desire to go to Europe to cycle? How about to a cycling event in the next State or Province? How are you planning to get there? Rent a car? Fly?

If the oil prices go up, you'll have to pay for it when you rent a car, and already the airlines are raising their rates.

Even if you don't own a car, and even if you regularly walk or ride your bicycle everywhere, rising oil prices will still affect you in some way or another. Has your boss given you a raise to compensate?
1. Grocery store --- Here's the secret to grocery shopping. Buy store brands and use coupons. I used to work in a supermarket and seen people cut $20 to 35 dollars a week easily by doing the above. Using these two methods, any increase in gas will not effect you one bit.

2. It's called mail order --- My furniture were all delivered. Any heavy items will also get the same treatment.

3. Amtrak ----- It's subsidized by the government about 1 billion dollars. I consider it the greatest bargain in transportation second to none. In fact, I'm thinking of taking the 45 day pass and exploring the east coast.

4. Boss has given me a raise but not based on the price of oil. Raise was more of a cost of living increase so I'm looking elsewhere.