Old 10-01-12, 04:33 AM
Docbilly

Bikes: 2012 Cannondale Flash Carbon 1, 1948 Raleigh Golden Arrow

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by nerys
I am not a doctor and I am not doing doctor "things" with my heart rate so accuracy really is not all that important.

if I have a major heart problem they measuring my heart rate in general is not going to provide useful data to me making the entire issue moot.

point stands. I can say as much as I want but I know in the end I would simply stop using it for the hassle of using a chest strap.

so any data that is "gotten" reliably is better than more accurate data that is never acquired because of annoyance/laziness/aggravation of the acquisition method :-)

I don't even really "need" it. my "geek" side wants it since strava is "capable" if adding it to its data stream. its the only reason I really want it anyway. so convenience is king :-)

I am probably over 450 pounds (I stood on a 450 pound capable scale and it gave me Errr so either it was broken or I exceeded 450 pounds)

simple GETTING on the bike for an hour is sufficient for my needs. to burn fat.

I have not seen a doctor in over 10 years probably won't for another 10 years. no insurance no money.

so I just cross my fingers and hope I do it right.
I understand your point and I don´t intend you to mount a ICU on your handlebar. You can make you geek side happy, but with something that really works. If you are 450 pounds (I´m 305 my self so I´m a heavy rider too), you havent been to a doctor in 10 years, and you won´t go see a doctor in another 10, you damn right need something that works, and is as confortable as possible. There´s a lot of info on heart rate areas on the web, how to train, etc!!! Good luck with your choise and tell us your experience later on!