Old 10-01-12, 10:42 AM
Rowan

Mentioned: 125 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1454 Post(s)
Liked 85 Times in 40 Posts
Originally Posted by MassiveD
Do you mean that you would not spend the money on such a frame? Basically if a person wants a cheap expedition tourer, there are good choices already. You have to want the retro frame, but tig welded in China. But those kind of people are out there.

Custom, basically people who buy custom frames want: to spend more money; buy more beauty or fit; or need something that is not at the mean, like a real crazy expedition worthy bike, or maybe a real light tourer that still mounts normal accessories. Or maybe they want S&S on a bike that is worth that. Price is normally not the issue. Most enthusiasts that I know who buy low end frames, buy so many bikes, that they could have bought several customs, no problem, same goes with the buyers of mid range components. At least if you buy the most expensive near the beginning, you know that there really won't be some magical formula discovered by a mid market purveyor, and you won't feel the need to stray. But that said, there are collectors at all price levels.
Thank you, yes, correct. I wouldn't buy one. My excuse is that I was in a rush to get out the door... for a bike ride

Yes, the VO is filling a niche.

And if everyone is realistic and honest, the more touring frame options that are out there and obvious to the buying public (as opposed to esoteric custom frame builders), the more awareness there is of touring, and therefore the flow-on awareness by retailers for touring specific equipment.

Surly has been a very significant contributor to that awareness, but it would be unfair not to recognise others such as Fuji and Trek which have been offering off-the-shelf touring frames for a mighty long time in the US and elsewhere.

Good luck to VO, anyway. I am sure there are some people who are going to assemble some nice looking tourers using that frame and other parts sourced from VO... but maybe with STIs or bar-ends and aero brakes levers.