View Single Post
Old 10-01-12, 02:33 PM
himespau 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4231 Post(s)
Liked 2,947 Times in 1,806 Posts
Definitely get out there and try the whole riding thing on various short trips. I like Machka's idea of finding somewhere to teach English for a while (I have a number of friends who did that) or volunteering in another way to drop off the grid for a while/reboot. I spent a long time considering joining the Peace Corps (a formalized US organization to sort of do that) when I was getting near the end of each of my degrees, but they require applications a year in advance to do checks and the like and my plans for finishing were never firm enough that far in advance to make that work (something I regret now that I'm sort of settled with family and a kid and that). If you can work that into a tour great, if not, that could be the point of dropping off for a while if you find the right sort of place to go do that. The nice thing about coming back from something like that is it goes on your resume or cv and future employers look at it as altruistic more than dropping out of the world for a while so not only do you get some good stories for the interview, it doesn't count against you when you're asked why you haven't had a job in your field in the last __ years.