View Single Post
Old 10-01-12, 04:38 PM
bandit1990

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by psi
Where did I say I lived in the US? I don't. As I said in the post you quoted though, I do also ride a road bike on the road (generally on a carefully planned route). I honestly don't care who might think I'm an idiot as long as my actions don't create dangerous situations for myself and others. I live minutes from a major highway and a mall, and the number of impatient and inattentive commuters, shoppers and high schoolers on the roads is staggering. There is no way I'm going to take a route that requires me to cross 3 lanes of virtually nonstop traffic to make a left turn onto another busy road, just to make a short trip to a local store a little faster. It's more important to me to have a low stress, uneventful trip that brings me back to my wife and two young kids unscathed.
I didn't mean to offend, Sir. Just pointing out the facts of life here. If you ride a road bike where I live (northern California), then it assumed that you are an idiot -- just trying to appease those that think driving a Prius is the greatest thing since (whatever you believe to be the greatest thing in the world). However, I will stand by ground trying to teach my children the correct way to ride a bicycle, including riding on the roadways. You can ride your bike in traffic, turn left at intersections, and be safe without feeling endangered. Be conspicuous. Stand out. Don't get "victims mentality". Good golly, I sound like a "cyclist". Forgive me. Embrace the challenge of being on a bicycle and doing something that 90% of other motorists wish they were doing.