View Single Post
Old 10-05-12, 08:17 AM
tagaproject6

Bikes: Wilier Izoard XP (Record);Cinelli Xperience (Force);Specialized Allez (Rival);Bianchi Via Nirone 7 (Centaur); Colnago AC-R Disc;Colnago V1r Limited Edition;De Rosa King 3 Limited(Force 22);DeRosa Merak(Red):Pinarello Dogma 65.1 Hydro(Di2)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 551 Post(s)
Liked 277 Times in 145 Posts
Originally Posted by granto
Hello all,

So last year at the LBS they guy recommended I replace the stock knobby 32mm tires on my new bike with specialized all condition armadillos on my WTB dx23 rims.
You had a 32mm on a 23mm rim? Is this correct? If that is the case, why whould you believe that a 25mm will ruin the 23mm?

Thing is, there weren't any 28mms laying around, and he threw some 25mms on after asking another guy's opinion, who said I'd be fine. Not really knowing anything at the time about tire sizing, I didn't think much of it, and was generally pleased with the tires.

So one day my rear rim gets a nasty inward bend in it with a sidewall protrusion that truing just isn't going to fix. Maybe from a pothole or something, I'm not sure- I definitely liked to ride at around 115 psi but I didn't do anything extreme, just some basic city commuting. So I brought it in and they said they probably wouldn't be able to fix it if I couldn't. I then went to a local bike co-op and the guy had the correct tool to pull the rim out, but the rim has since bent on me again in new and exciting ways and things are generally going downhill. I've since learned form Sheldon that you risk rim damage from using a narrow tire on a wide rim, and this combination is definitely in the red zone.
This is not the case on your story. 25mm is wider than 23mm, at least in the old math.

What are your thoughts on this? Was it bad advice? I've since bought a new (24mm) rim, and want to put a 28 on it (which Peter White says is acceptable). Do you think it would be unreasonable to ask for a free replacement with a more reasonable size (28)? Since they didn't seem to be capable of fixing the old rim, there's not much I could ask them to do short of helping me pay for my new rim, and I thought asking for the tire they should have sold to me in the first place was a better approach. Or do you think I'm splitting hairs between the 25 and 28 and they are both running too narrow for the rim?
Thoughts? You may be trying to get a free rim for free and blaming someone else.
You "hit a pothole or something" is more probable than just your 25mm tire ruining a 23mm rim.

Replace the rim and pay for it. No free rim for you.