View Single Post
Old 10-06-12, 06:30 PM
MadCityCyclist

Bikes: Brompton M6R, Salsa Mukluk II, Trek 7500, Raliegh fixie, 3 SS cruisers, JC Higgins Color Flow, Junker Flying Jet, KHS F20-A, Worksman trike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Note: I live in Wisconsin, fairly more northern and colder than a lot of US states. 14 mile commute weekdays, 6-25 mile fun rides weekdays and weekends, plus lots of utility cycling. Avid winter cyclist, although we had a pretty warm winter up here last year.

I've tried just about everything-various liners, different brands of winter cycling gloves, Bar Mitts (I was VERY disappointed in Bar Mitts, some friends have done well with pogies), regular gloves, ski gloves, and lobster-style gloves. For me lobster claw gloves worked the best, with ski gloves coming in a close second.

One feature both the lobster claw and ski gloves that I have which is very appreciated is the fact that they are waterproof. If you use knit gloves and they get wet when it is cold out that could be painful, and I doubt that knit gloves have much wind resistance.

Name brand cycling gloves worked very well until the temps dropped below 45 degrees. Because they are made for cycling, they will probably give you the best "feel" for braking, shifting gears, etc. It seems, however, that they only work well to a certain temperature, after which something else needs to be added to them like a liner or pogies. Plus, the ones I used were not waterproof. If you live in a warmer climate that doesn't get too cold, or if you only ride later in the day when the temps are higher, a cycling glove may be a good choice.