Old 10-08-12, 09:02 AM
Niles H.
eternalvoyage

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Cyclesafe
I haven't toured for quite a while, so the world has pased me by a bit...

I can buy in my size (60cm) a used 2006 Americano Copilot frameset, with CK headset, Thomson seat post, S&S travel case, and padding for the same price as a new Trek 520. Is the Americano so much better that it would be worth it to build the bike up from the state it's in or should I forego the hasstle and just buy the Trek?
If you get larger tubing diameters with the Americano, the ride will be more solid (less flexy), esp. with heavier loads or riders. I can really feel the difference with oversized tubing. The rock-solid ride is worth something. OTOH, some people can certainly get used to the flexier rides. Others not so much, though. Neil, at CGOAB, for example, seems to have a strong leaning toward the rock solidness.

If the build is going to be a long, slow, torturous hassle for you, that is a factor too. But you could find some help, online (here for example) or in person -- and/or see it differently, maybe as an interesting challenge and learning-opportunity project.

It can be a good feeling when you know a bike inside-out, and you are better able to understand and deal with problems that may arise on tour.

The Americano definitely seems more of a no-compromise approach, but a lot of people like the Trek just fine too.

I'd probably lean toward the Americano, as long as I found a way to be good with the build.