View Single Post
Old 10-08-12, 09:20 AM
twocicle
Clipless in Coeur d'Alene

Bikes: Tandems: Calfee Dragonfly S&S, Ventana ECDM mtb; Singles: Specialized Tarmac SL4 S-Works, Specialized Stumpjumper Pro, etal.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 15 Posts
Originally Posted by DubT
They are the standard pedals with titanium spindles. They were much less expensive that way and we both like them, the secret to the Bebop's is to keep the cleat clean and lubed.

To clarify about the Bebops, I think what DubT means is he bought the cromo then swapped the spindles. see: http://weightweenies.starbike.com/fo...hp?f=3&t=87081

For those with a near perfect natural biomechanic pedal stroke, the Bebop float wouldn't be an issue. We (both stoker and I) use Speedplay Zeros because we can dial in the our shoe angles then narrow down the float to provide rotational limits outside our normal stoke range. I've tried riding with these opened up in a "float" setup but do not like the lack of stability - especially when standing for climbs and sprints. In fact, years ago I had the X pedals which I hated for that float, plus that the round springs wore out very quickly due to my natural shoe movement. A long time ago I read a report from a knee Dr. who indicated some rotational support is best, otherwise the "ice cube" effect could overwork the knee/ankle, so you'd have to experiment to see if unlimited float would work for you.

DubT, about the Gates CT setup, your eccentric appears to be in or very close to the full forward position (at max tension limit). Is my observation correct?