Old 10-08-12, 01:20 PM
Niles H.
eternalvoyage

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by batrike
I went bicycle camping this year for the first time,i bought a trailer put all my stuff and spent a week at a campsite and since then i cant stop thinking about it.I learned my lesson off being out of shape and not training for it but i want to do it again next year,so i have been looking for ideas maybe an electric motor for the trailer to assist or a bicycle camper.
I read about the the kamp rite midget but don't like the 4 wheels and not to much storage space and the $800+ price tag(not that many good reviews either) and i have found a lot of interesting designs on the internet of DIY type.So i came across a design for a homeless mobile shelter and thought if i can put wheels on that that could be great.I really don't know because it took a lot of me with a 35 pound trailer and +80 of gear,i have this idea in my head and i just cant shake it out so just give your 2 cents worth of common sense and tell me i am not crazy for considering this.

Pros: It would look cool.
Cons:Heavy,wide,i dont know if it would pass the GW bridge and bicycle trails entrance have pylons to stop cars,did i say heavy.
Here is the web site with the rest of the pictures
http://www.designboom.com/weblog/cat/8/view/9562/mobile-homeless-shelter.html
There was a guy in Texas a few years ago who was building tadpole trikes with small gas engines (Honda) or electric motors as options.

With something like that, you could customize the seat to fold back and convert into a cot, on one side of the rear wheel and engine.

A carbon fiber fairing or light plywood shell could be added. Or you could use a removable (sturdy) fabric.

Learning to cut back on weight while maintaining good comfort levels is a good approach. See ultralight threads and the links in them.