View Single Post
Old 10-09-12, 05:43 AM
iconicflux
Fredly

Bikes: Surly Long Haul Trucker w/ SRAM Rival, & 36H 38's, Late 70's Santana Tandem w/ Double Diamond frame

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm about 12 years post-op with a distal gastric bypass with duodenal switch. It's one of the best things I've ever done for myself.

Most procedures these days are laproscopic which have a very fast recovery as opposed to open surgery like I had.

I also had a full body lift to remove excess skin at a surgical hospital in Costa Rica and then spent a month at a recovery retreat there. Again, it was an excellent choice.

Let me know if you want any more info on either.

Cheers,
Kevin

Originally Posted by FrenchFit
My wife is flying off shore for the surgery, restrictive and malabsorptive. I'm not worried about the choice of surgery and surgical care; it's been vetted by top tier physican who's family friend...it's a prudent choice for her.

It's need is primarily her long term health, though I'm extremely active and within 25 lbs of an ideal weight, enjoy running, cycling, hiking, tennis, yoga ...my wife suffers from obesity and is watching my lifestyle get further and further away from hers. So, there is a strong/marital emotional component, no doubt about it. I case you're wondering, I have never suggested this idea.

The afterwards is causing me alot of thought. Is the regaining physical confidence and endurance 6 months out, 2 years out? Are the nutrition and loose skin issues going to be an ongoing battle that's as detrimental to her sense of well being as the weight? Is there a pyschological depression to deal with the first few months, I would imagine there is some let down afterwards.

Wondering if anyone here has gone through it, or has a spouse / relative who's had a similar surgery.