View Single Post
Old 10-09-12, 07:38 AM
njkayaker

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4247 Post(s)
Liked 1,352 Times in 938 Posts
Originally Posted by toddles
Is purchasing a custom frame worth it? I mean, does anyone have any experience with moving to a custom frame and do you think the extra money was worth it? Was it a notice-able difference? Off the top, I'd think custom sizing would help on those long distance rides, cut down on the wear and tear on your body, and perhaps give you a performance gain.

Thoughts?
There is zero indication that this is true (except for rare unusually-proportioned people).

There are many, many examples of riders using stock frames with no apparent "wear and tear" or "performance" issues and some of those using these stock frames can afford custom. I don't believe custom is the standard for professional racers (any longer) (except in rare cases).

Most people can find a some stock frame that is going to be very close to any custom geometry that is "optimal". Keep in mind, too, that there isn't "one" particular geometry for any particular person. Heck, different builders have different opinions about what geometry is going to be "best" for a particular person.

Most people go custom for the "prestige" and the unsupported notion that a custom bike will be magically "perfect".

There are some people (of unusual dimensions) for whom custom might work better. There are a few people who are looking for particular features/characteristics that going custom just makes it easier to get.

(Note that I like custom bikes and wish custom builders good business. But custom mostly is a luxury and, as such, isn't generally efficient/practical.)

Last edited by njkayaker; 10-09-12 at 07:51 AM.