Old 10-09-12, 01:11 PM
Monoborracho

Bikes: More than I really should own.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 205 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 18 Posts
Originally Posted by Greyride
I am far sighted and have trouble reading close up (due to age). I have progressive prescription glasses and use clip-ons for sun glasses. These have worked fine for me so far. I was wondering if purchasing prescription sunglasses for bike riding is worth the cost?
Your thoughts?
The biggest consideration, aside from clear vision, is not taking a bug or rock in the eye at speed.

If the $12+/- safety glasses with a bifocal work for you, just use those. I did so for years. But eventually, you need something for intermediate distance.

My opthamologist that owns the optical store would love to sell me a set of WileyX with interchangeable progressive lenses for $600+.

I've also considered Rudy Project and other prescription wraparounds. For sport glasses, forget about progressives. You get a double image that's blurred on the periphery. Picture an hour glass....that's where the "good" part of a progressive will be in a wraparound configuration.

Last week I took my prescription to WalMart and got a set of lined bifocal sport type sunglasses for $178. This is after I tried their progressives transitions. WalMart has a 30 day return no questions asked, and they were as good as their word.

I rode 90 miles in them last weekend and I think I've finally solved my problems at a reasonable cost.

I plan to get a set of clear lenses in the same frame so I don't have to wear my $500 titanium no-lines with a clip-on when riding in the evening.