Old 10-11-12, 09:05 PM
Frosty Camel

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I got clipped by a &*^&%$ in a Ford Escape

I'm OK, thank God! Just a few sore spots. My bike on the other hand is a different story. More specifically, the front wheel is toast. (It is now shaped almost exactly like Pac-Man.)

I live and ride in a sparsely populated area. Most of the rural roads around here are barely wide enough for two cars, let alone two cars and a bike. But this &*^&%$ tried to fit his Escape between me and an oncoming car. Usually, when I have a car coming up behind me, I will take the center of the lane until I am sure it is safe for them to pass and then move over to make it easier for them. On this particular stretch of road, a car every ten minutes would be considered busy.

I was climbing a hill, so I was moving pretty slowly. A creek was running along the right side of the road, and there was no right shoulder. (And no guardrail!) At the edge of the asphalt, there is a steep drop all the way to the creek. That's were I was when the worlds biggest &^*&%$ came barreling up behind me. I was nearing the crest of the hill, so there was no way to tell if there was any oncoming traffic. I took the center of the lane to make him wait until any oncoming traffic would be visible. He started gunning his engine and then slamming on the brakes when he was right behind me. I decided I wanted him in front of me, so I began looking for someplace to pull off the road and stop. Except there wasn't any place. Not without going down the steep slope to the creek. I moved over anyway, thinking I could stop at the first opportune time, and that's when this &^*&%$ gunned it. This was just as we reached the top of the hill, and there was AN ONCOMING CAR!!! I knew immediately I was in trouble so I hugged the side of the road as best I could. I ended up getting struck by his right side mirror and forced off the road, down the slope, and into the creek. &^*&%$ never stopped.

Me and my bike parted ways about halfway down. I ended up in the creek and my bike on the bank. When I looked at my bike, I knew immediately that the front wheel was beyond repair. I carried it back up to the road, took out my cell to call for a ride, and there was no signal. I ended up walking (carrying my bike) for about an 30 minutes before I had cell signal.

Anyway, I'm OK, which is the most important thing. Pissed, but OK. But now I'm questioning myself. Is there anything I could have done to avoid this situation? Short of not riding at all, which is not an option.

Oh and to make matters worse, this wheelset only had about 700 miles on it.

Last edited by Frosty Camel; 10-12-12 at 12:20 PM.