View Single Post
Old 10-12-12, 10:05 AM
GeorgeBMac

Bikes: 2012 Trek DS 8.5 all weather hybrid, 2008 LeMond Poprad cyclocross, 1992 Cannondale R500 roadbike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
a budding amateur bike mechanic?

I could probably post this on the mechanic's forum -- but the people on this forum are experiened riders and may have a better perspective on the subject...

Last night I attended my first class of 6 on 'Beginner Bicycle Mechanics". Each week we will be covering a couple chapters from Park Tools's "Big Blue Book of Bicycle Repair'. The instructor appears to be pretty good -- but the student is pretty weak (I'm NOT mechanically inclined). But, my main goal is to simply build a foundation and learn some of the basics and, at a minimum, to know what I need to ask my LBS to do!

But, on the other hand, I would love to be able to rebuild an old bike and just be able to tinker around a bit...

So, the instructor gave us a list of Park Tools that we could buy from her (20%) off. It's a long list. But, the Park Tool "Advanced Mechanic's Tool Set" (AK-37) seems like the easiest way to go. These tools are NOT required for the class -- but we can buy them if we want. And, I am considering it in order to get myself off to a 'good start' and be sure I have the resources I need if I persue this whole thing further...

As for getting repairs and maintenance done -- my LBS is great! They do nice work at very reasonable prices. I will probably never do any better than these guys. So, getting involved in the mechanic's side would be more to further the hobby than for any pragmatic need.

So, what do you experienced folk say about amateur mechanics?
-- Is it a good thing or a dangerous thing?
-- Is the Park Tool Advanced Mechanic's Tool Set just another dust collector or is it helpful?

And all thoughts (even belly laughs!) will be appreciated...

So, thanks for any insights... I really don't know where I'm going with this and where it might end up...