Old 10-13-12, 08:09 AM
staehpj1

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1251 Post(s)
Liked 754 Times in 560 Posts
Originally Posted by Tourist in MSN
For around the campsite, I prefer a LED headlamp on my head. Bike touring, I use rechargeable batteries for headlamp, bike lights and GPS but if I do not have a chance to recharge the batteries I can buy AA and AAA batteries.
That is probably the best type of in camp light for most people. The thing is that if I have to dig it out of the pannier or handlebar bag I usually don't bother. I found that when I carried one I very seldom actually used it. The Pico on the other hand is on a chain around my neck so always right there. I still don't use it much but when I need to I turn it on for a few seconds.

Originally Posted by Tourist in MSN
I got several of those on sale a few years ago, they were great Christmas presents. I keep a couple on my key rings. Got a large supply of batteries shipped from China on ebay. I have had it turn itself on in the pocket and drain the batteries, so if it was my only light on a trip I would take a spare set.
Again I am probably a bit weird on this, but before I found the Pico I was considering just not carrying any light at all other than the red blinkie. In the 5000 or so miles I have been carrying the Pico it has never accidentally turned on and if it did I wouldn't be overly concerned to go a day or two with no light. I do tend to scorch things when cooking in the dark without a light, but usually fix dinner in daylight.

I can see where it would be more likely to get turned on in a pocket though. Worst case I could use the red blinkie on steady. It wouldn't bother me all that much to do without either of them, and you can buy some kind of small light in any town big enough to have even a minimal store. Then again at 0.2 ounces having a second one along wouldn't be a big burden, I just don't consider it a priority.