View Single Post
Old 10-13-12, 08:02 PM
scoatw

Bikes: 96 gary fisher 'utopia' : 99 Softride 'Norwester'(for sale), 1972 Raleigh Twenty. Surly 1x1 converted to 1x8, 96 Turner Burner

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts

TerraLUX TLF-3C2AAEX LightStar220 3-Watt LED Aluminum Flashlight

I've been using this light for about three months now, so I figure it's time for a review. Purchased at Amazon. It uses AA batteries and I get about 2 hours of runtime on rechargeable batteries. Good light for under $50. Mounted to the handlebars using a two fish lock block that works well. Doesn't really wiggle the light unless I hit a large bump or something like that. The light puts out a good size spot with a wide flood. Cars see me and it lights up the road ahead to notice debris, etc. Seems to live up to its rating of 220 lumens. But how should I really know since I have no way of measuring lumens. But it was brighter than the Romisen that I replaced. Has a high/low beam, but I just use the high beam. Overall for a AA flashlight it does the things that I look for in a flashlight. Strong, durable and dependent. Decent run time for a AA. Water-tight, hasn't failed me yet when riding in the rain. Just as comparable to a AA Fenix or anything that you'd get at Shiningbeam.com. For the AA category, I'd put this light at the top. My only other experience was with the Romisen RC-N3 Q5 cree. That was a good light. I had that one for four years until I wore it out. It just quit working due to the contact being jarred loose. The Terralux seems more durable. You won't get much brighter for a AA. Unless you switch over to a Li-ion set-up for a more powerful light with a longer runtime, supposedly. I don't know because I've never had one. But for someone who uses AA batteries, I think you'll be pleased with this light. I would put it up against any other AA out there.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ls_o02_s00_i00

Last edited by scoatw; 10-14-12 at 11:30 AM.