genec
genec

Bikes: custom built, sannino, beachbike, giant trance x2

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13658 Post(s)
Liked 4,532 Times in 3,158 Posts
Originally Posted by Daves_Not_Here
Is it just me, but do these situations and difficulties seem contrived? Are cyclists being cited in Orange County for riding on the sidewalk when the bike lane is blocked? Does anybody really have any problem riding around a parked truck? What am I missing here?
I doubt anyone is being cited for riding on the sidewalk... but perhaps the bigger issue is why the cyclist is not warned earlier, where there might be a convenient driveway for the cyclist to use to get to the sidewalk. I think that is perhaps the biggest issue... that there is no planning for bike traffic other than "good luck, your lane just ended."

I rode a high speed road daily that had similar trucks pulled off doing maint... the issue I had was that the motorists would arrive behind me in a platoon with the first cars seeing me and peeling off just fine, but the later traffic (following cars) would get closer and closer before they finally realized, hey there is a cyclist in the road in front of me. All it would have taken is one braindead cell phone staring driver and I wouldn't be here to discuss this.

If the warnings of pending blockage were earlier, and included a way to shunt the cyclist (even on to the sidewalk... for just a bit) I think this would be less of a problem. But as it is, these things "appear" some what suddenly to motorist... the cyclist actually has time to evaluate the situation at 8-20 MPH... not so the motorist, especially if hills or curves are part of the situation.

For me, I would always adjust my speed to try to be around the hazard before a platoon of motor vehicles came along... but uphill, moving at 8MPH, while motor traffic approached at 55+MPH, this wasn't always possible, and the result can be very disconcerting... (watching that last fast car finally peel away in your mirror)

In the video there is a discussion of an eight year old on a bike lane... and frankly I don't think eight year olds should be on such streets... narrow BL on such fast streets are just really not a good thing, for anyone...

Note in that video that the sidewalk was wider than the BL. I didn't notice a single ped during the entire video... something to think about.

Last edited by genec; 10-15-12 at 02:19 PM.