Old 10-15-12, 09:03 PM
MTBMaven
This is Shangri La

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Light and Motion Urban 550 - Quick Review

I just picked up a new light I think might be of interest to the folks in this community, the Light and Motion Urban 550. Billed as a commuter light in the company's product line I found the light perfect for long distance cycling.

Primary advantages for me:
- Three burn levels: 550, 400, 200
- Run time at each level: 1:30, 3:00, 6:00
- Light weight 112 grams
- Compact design: smaller than my 2 AAA Planet Bike light
- Micro USB charger with on board battery

The USB is the deal clincher for me. I am able to use two existing USB battery packs from APC (12oz). Each battery will come close to recharging the light; that's a lot of run time.

I used the light this past weekend for the Bass Lake Powerhouse Double and it worked really well. For this ride I used the light in 200 low mode the entire time and found the output enough even for 20ish mph descents. I got the 550 because I do a fair bit of night mountain bike riding. If I wanted the light only for road riding the 400 would be plenty and would save ~$30.

That's it, I just wanted to pass along my thoughts for those in the market for a new light. I wouldn't have normally considered the light if it were not for the recommendation of a fellow biker and co-worker. He used his for the 508 a few weeks ago.

Click image for link

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
urban550_1.jpg (22.0 KB, 24 views)
File Type: jpg