Old 10-16-12, 01:23 PM
TampaRaleigh

Bikes: 1986 Raleigh Competition (Restored to Original), 1986 Cannonade SR400 (Updated to Dura Ace 7800)

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
[h=2]I'm newly back into road cycling from a long break... and wanted to share my story...
I'm sure everyone has one of those stories about "the one that got away"... or "if you love something, set it free"... blah blah blah. Whether it be a woman/man, a car, or anything else we once loved... there's always something in the back of your mind that you always wish you'd never let go.

Well... I'm so excited I have to share with you all... sometimes those stories can have a happy ending.

For my 16th birthday, my dad gave me a bicycle. Not just any bicycle... the best bicycle that my local shop had in stock. A brand new, 1985 Raleigh Competition. I can't even begin to guess how many miles I put on that bike. 15 miles each way to work, plus 100-150 miles every weekend. I was really attached to that bike. As long as there wasn't snow on the ground, my feet were on the pedals. I rode it in college, and after. When my son was born, I hitched a trailer to the back and started riding with him, until he was old enough to start riding beside me on his own bike.

About 10 years ago, I moved to the beach in Florida. I kept seeing folks riding their fat-tire bikes on the beach, and thought... "Wow... wouldn't that be great." So I posted my old Raleigh in the classifieds, and it quickly sold and I bought a mountain bike. While it did as expected, and allowed me to ride on the beach... I missed my old road bike. I regretted letting it go.

Then I moved away from the beach... I'm just a few blocks away from a nicely paved bike trail. The road bikes go whizzing by all the time. My regret depened. I finally resolved to buy another road bike.

On Friday afternoon, I saw a little "old fashioned" local bike shop. (Northeast Cycles, for those near St Pete, FL) I stopped in and started chatting with the owner... telling him the above story. As I browsed through the store, one bike in the used section caught my eye. A mid 80s Raleigh Competition. On closer inspection, I saw that it was not just the same KIND of bike... it actually WAS my bike. It still had the "Criterium" sticker that I had put on it 20+ years ago.

She's now back in my garage.
[/h]Sadly, the Cinelli criterium bars and stem have been replaced, as well as the wheels that I had built with Superbe Pro hubs and Mavic MA40 rims, and the Superbe Pro brakeset. BUT... she'll be back better than ever in no time.