ratdog

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DnvrFox
Sorry, I still don't get it. The original question was:

"Trying to decide if I should get an HRM."

You forgot to quote this part of the original post that precipitated the recommendation to check with his Cardiologist or Doctor.

Originally Posted by ctpres
Is there any medical value for older riders in having HRM?

And here was my opinion on the matter "My opinion is that it can't hurt to have one and if anything it'll give you information that you may find helpful in training for your sub six century in the summer 2014" as well as checking with his health care provider(s).

A HRM simply takes your pulse. Would you ask your cardio if you should take your pulse? If you should wear a watch? A HRM is a passive device and does not give any electricity to your body, it only measures the rate of electricity emanating from your body (heart). A HRM can physically do you no harm, perhaps unless the chest strap is too tight!!
Because his Cardiologist if he had one or his Doctor would know his health history better than I or most of the other posters responding to his original post. FWIW, nobody is suggesting he go to the Cardiologist to take a pulse. The suggestion is just pure silliness.

An appropriate question for a cardiologist might be, "I am going to start training, and want to use zone training as measured by a HRM. What suggestions do you have for appropriate training as measured by my HRM, considering my physical condition."

And, he probably would not have a clue, and to limit his liability, would tell you to not go over 100bpm, unless he was a sports cardio.
That can very well be, but I can't speak for the Doctors since I am not one myself.

Last edited by ratdog; 10-17-12 at 04:47 PM.