Old 10-18-12, 01:04 PM
ItsJustMe
Señior Member

Bikes: Windsor Fens, Giant Seek 0 (2014, Alfine 8 + discs)

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 446 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
IMO not excessive at all, in fact I think kind of necessary. Consider the situation that made me decide this:

I was riding over an expressway overpass in the very wide (about 8 feet) shoulder. I continued straight as it turned into a right turn lane into the onramp (riding slightly to the right of the lane divider line). In my mirror I observed a driver starting to drift right in behind me, following the beginning of the lane. I assumed that he wanted to take the onramp, so I moved left to the right tire track of the rightmost straight through lane.

Then the driver woke up or looked up from his phone or whatever he was doing and veered back to the right, was quite close to me by then and laid on his horn at me for being "in his way."

I realized that with front only video, had I been hit the video would have shown me moving unexpectedly to the left, into the main traffic lane for no apparent reason then getting hit. Since it's common for short term memory to be lost after an accident I probably would not be able to contest this.

In that case front only video could have actually been detrimental to my case without rear facing video as well.

I definitely do not archive my video, as two high def cameras for 2 hours a day generate about 12GB per day which would be 3.6 terabytes per year. Generally when I get home, if nothing happened I format the cards in camera and plug the cameras into chargers. 99% of my video never gets viewed.