View Single Post
Old 10-19-12, 03:15 PM
Madtown Bob
FOG

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I signed up with Bicycle Adventures for a Hawaii trip-Big Island and received a call from them just 2 weeks before departure and was informed that they cancelled it. I was reimbursed for my payment to them but I had already booked airline tickets, hotels and vacation from work. I planned to spend some time alone with my wife so I bookend the trip with a day or so before and after the riding. I rode with Bicycle Adventure in the past and had pleasurable experiences. This trip was for our 25[SUP]th[/SUP] wedding anniversary and I was totally bummed out.

Fortunately for us, Backroads offered a tour at the same time. So I booked with them and had a fantastic ride and we were blessed with great weather. No rain whatsoever and this might be a bit unusual around Hilo. I understand that Backroads and BA routes are very similar, perhaps the same but go in opposite directions. I do not plan to trash anyone but I’ve been with Backroads ever since. In any case, they are competitive if you get to go.

Both offer support and this was important to me when we rode to the southern tip. After lunch, we stopped at the southern tip and we were to ride up to the Volcano house. But we fought a very strong headwind on the way to the southern tip and we ran out of gas. We didn’t know anything about drafting then but I still think we would have ended up just as tired. We hopped in van after lunch, stopped at places along the way and then headed up to the volcano house. I knew that I made the right decision about hopping in the van. I wanted to enjoy myself not kill myself. Our stops and late afternoon walk around the crater were fantastic.

I will only say again that it was fantastic and I’ll let your discoveries be your own. It was also great not to have to make any decisions. The guides were knowledgeable tour guides; they provided great support and it was easy to become good friends with them. The dining was also fantastic. The trip made our 25[SUP]th[/SUP] wedding anniversary very memorable. I hope your memories will be just as wonderful.