Old 10-19-12, 10:21 PM
bigfred 

Bikes: More than 1, but, less than S-1

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by brawlo
Those Langsters only go to a 585mm TT and the Ridleys to 590mm.

I would say keep a good eye on your top tube lengths. Not so sure about rest of the world, but anything above club racing here is subjected to UCI rules. I started out on a 58cm TT Cinelli and I just couldn't stretch out enough within the parameters of the rules. In the end it was a longer TT or nothing. I had almost settled on going custom aluminium until I heard of the Alien frame development. I prefer sprinting and I had given my Cinelli skid marks within the chainstays from flex. The prospect of a larger stock frame meant most likely more flex from the larger dimensions as they're primarily built as a points racer style of bike, not a sprinter.

If you're not sprint orientated, then I might suggest the Felts as they go up to 607mm TT length. If you like to sprint, then go custom aluminium or look for something carbon like the Alien or even Serenity (60cm TT but for a significantly higher price).

As it is, my fitted sprint setup on the 61cm TT Alien is with the stem 25mm lower and a 20mm longer stem (140mm) than in the pic. It fits like a glove and I have longer legs as opposed to a long torso.

It was my understanding that the measurement on drop bars was from the front wheel axle. Is that not correct? If so, the front centers between the Langsters and the Felt are within 3mm of each other. Or, am I misinterpretting this?

Thankfully my torso isn't very long. So, my challenge is mostly just saddle height. And, I don't have a sprint, so if I'm going to be successful at this its going to be pursuiting and enduro events.

However, for the price, the Alien looks very interesting. I'll be interested to hear your reports on the new frame. Keep us posted. Thanks,