Thread: Cervelo Update
View Single Post
Old 10-21-12, 06:25 AM
jppe
Let's do a Century

Bikes: Cervelo R3 Disc, Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Lynskey GR260 Ultegra

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 651 Post(s)
Liked 879 Times in 408 Posts
Originally Posted by AzTallRider
Have you gone over the bike and made sure everything is torqued to spec? Many shops aren't too great at that.
Good idea. The hanger bracket had already loosened when I took it back in to get the Rival RD replaced by the Red RD. I need to check it to see if it's loosened up. That's the only thing I can think of right now but seems plausible.

Originally Posted by qcpmsame
JPPE,
Haven't noticed any half shifts or mis-alignments in the RD of my Rival equipped bike. Several places like you describe on my various route I like to ride, including bridges with the sharp transition lip you are hitting. To me it sounds like the tension spring isn't strong enough and the sharp blow is allowing the chain to jump as the RD slacks off slightly. Would chain wrap make a difference in this situation?

Bill
Not sure Bill but worth looking into if it's not the hanger bracket.

Originally Posted by BikeWNC
I'd have the rear wheel checked for true. If you hit hard enough the impact can throw the wheel out of dish enough to cause shifting issues. Especially if the non-drive side spokes had loosened.
I spun the wheel and also looked at it while riding and all looked okay but will look more closely.

Originally Posted by Rowan
And another simple check -- was the QR done up tightly? It might be that the wheel shifted slightly in the dropouts, and even though they are vertical, the axle ends still have a tiny bit of wriggle room.
I had thought of that too and checked the QR and the wheel was where it was supposed to be.

I was really toast the last 15 miles and was in survival mode but as I look back at it now the noise diminshed the more I rode. Or my mind was just pretty numb by that point....