Old 10-23-12, 06:34 AM
DnvrFox
Banned.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by David Bierbaum
I've started doing low-impact geezer-friendly core exercises. Couldn't they have come up with a better name than "dead bug?" I figure this will eventually help my cycling ability in all areas, including climbing.
Originally Posted by Esteban58
My wife has a set of these set up for me for the winter... Guess I'll give them a try.
There is no reason that a "geezer" can't and shouldn't do max exercises. While one should start at low-impact, it should not stop there. The key is that your ligaments, tendons and muscles should be worked from low impact to higher impact slowly, as they likely have tightened up and don't stretch as they used to. They will need time to get to stretch and adjust to the new resistances. You should work towards a max of 6 repetitions to failure. You also need time to recover and restore.

There is a thread here about those of us who do max lifts and resistance and other exercises. All the literature says that to be beneficial at older ages, you should be working towards max. Cross training is also important - swimming, walking, hiking, etc.

As an example, at almost 73 years old, my max BP single rep right now is 195 lbs (I never was much of a BP guy) - however, in any event, I work towards that max rep when I lift, such as yesterday. Today, I am just a bit sore, which is good. I never want to lift to the point where I am REAL sore.

Also, stretching, for me, is real important.

Other landmarks for me - 73 consecutive pushups a couple of weeks ago to celebrate my 73rd birthday; 100 body dips - 2 sets of 30 + 2 sets of 20; etc.

So, don't get sold on "low impact" and "low expectations" for "geezers". You can do much better for yourself, and the research fully supports max efforts.

Also critical for bicyclers is avoiding quad - hip muscles imbalance, as bicycling really develops the quads. Bridges should be a regular activity, better yet, bridges using a fitness ball for your feet, and one legged bridges. There are other exercises and techniques, also.

Have fun.

Last edited by DnvrFox; 10-23-12 at 06:47 AM.