View Single Post
Old 10-24-12, 04:00 PM
sfbay2wheeler

Bikes: Trek 6500, Downtube 9FS, MIT V8

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My Downtube 9FS has this headset and steering stem lock. To me, it seems very sturdy. There are spring loaded guide pins that help push out the wedge as I unlock the clamp. Unfortunately, I lost those springs when the wedge was unlocked and the bike folded.

sfbay2wheeler

Originally Posted by jameswoo360
Just an update to all. I went to 2 local bike stores to have a better look & feel of the Ugo. Didn't go to see the the used Jap fb. At the shop, I saw an XDS where the lady suggested an XDS 260 (as seen in the pic) which has similar specs as the Ugo. Drive train, frame hinge, tires etc & other details look similar on both, welds are nicely done, thick scaly welds. Nothing to separate them except the XDS has fenders, rear rack & alloy fork. Steel fork for the Ugo! Cost is only about US$ 20 more.

Sat on both, can't call it a ride. Feels the same. Lifted them up, felt similar in weight.

The XDS has a curvy frame like the Vector (probably Dahon derive) which I like.

I'm leaning towards the XDS because of the included fenders & rack. The XDS also has a triangulated rear frame which should be stiffer, I think?! Am I right?

Only thing I'm not sure of on the XDS stem is the locking mechanism. It uses a male v-groove block that moves horizontally via a hand screw to mate to a female v-grove block to lock the top part of the folding stem into position. Feels secure & rigid enough. Is this type of lock ok?

Opinions welcomed