View Single Post
Old 10-26-12, 05:19 AM
GeorgeBMac

Bikes: 2012 Trek DS 8.5 all weather hybrid, 2008 LeMond Poprad cyclocross, 1992 Cannondale R500 roadbike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by wobblyoldgeezer

... no straight line of causation is suggested. ....
I quite agree with that... It is seldom one isolated thing that sets a person's wants and needs and direction.

But, that being said, losing my dad to an unexpected heart attack when I was 15 certainly changed my wants, needs and direction. Suddenly I was torn from my nice comfortable, cozy little life into one where I realized I would have to fend for myself...

I can safely say I am a very different person for that experience...

But, at the same time -- it was not simply losing my dad that changed things. Rather, his passing threw me into an entirely different set of circumstances to which I needed to respond. And, the response was not a simple list of tasks. I was profoundly changed by those circumstances.

Originally Posted by wobblyoldgeezer
'Some high achievers are so fixated on finding a shortcut to the goal that they might not be too particular about the means they use to achieve it'
But, at the same time, I DO NOT agree that a propensity to cheat always accompanies a high degree of desire to achieve.

Again, we are shaped by circumstances and, if you live in a culture where cheating is accepted and common, you will be more likely to cheat -- regardless of your desire to achieve.

Last edited by GeorgeBMac; 10-26-12 at 05:22 AM.