View Single Post
Old 10-27-12, 11:17 AM
sstorkel

Bikes: Cervelo RS, Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Pro, Schwinn Typhoon, Nashbar touring, custom steel MTB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by draig
Unfortunately I don't have a Performance bike near where I am, no way to get to the nearest either (40+ miles away, with gas costing as it is. even if I could finagle a ride). Also, how long ago was your last headset press? Besides, $80 is the top cost. and still cheaper than getting a headset press on my own.
It's been 3-4 years since I last had a headset installed, but I doubt prices have changed much.

Nashbar sells a very nice headset press for $60. Wait for a 20% off coupon, like I did, and it can be yours for < $50. They used to sell a star nut setter for $9, though I can't find it on their site now. You might have to look for another generic version (ex: the Sette ST-113A for $12 @ Price Point). Heck, you can probably round off the end of a wooden dowel with sandpaper and tap one in that way! You can install the crown race with $2-3 of PVC pipe and a mallet. The Nashbar fork cutting guide is okay and costs $12. If you've got a steady hand with a hacksaw, you almost don't need it. In any event, given that you can buy the tools for around $80 I certainly wouldn't pay a shop that much to do the job...