benajah
One legged rider

Bikes: Kuota Kharma, Surly LHT, CAAD9, Bianchi fg/ss

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by qcpmsame
I truly hope the leg works out for you, it looks like it is an advance in this field. Why can't the mfgrs and insurance work together to provide this appliance to those like Punkncat can have them to better their life. No politics wanted here in my reply just a hope, I would gladly work for/with a foundation the raise funds and awareness for these types of appliances, along the lines of the Wounded Warrior group I support now. If anyone knows of one please post in this forum or shoot me a P.M. so we will know.

Bill
Just the way it is with the insurance. There are groups such as Challenged Athletes Foundation and Disabled Sports USA that do help people get adaptive equipment. The local Paralympic Sport Clubs help people get in touch with them. The support is out there but needs to be sought out.
now, the leg that the OP had made is just a peg foot that attaches to the regular socket, and this particular device can be fabricated pretty easily and like he said, cheaply from spare parts laying around the shop. You see Paralympians with high speed carbon peg legs and things, but these only offer a real advantage to track racers, who rarely crash and for whom that aero advantage is biggest.
in my opinion, for road riding, the durability offered by a metal leg with spare parts is actually an advantage, as all sorts of things can happen to damage a carbon blade peg leg.