View Single Post
Old 10-31-12, 10:10 AM
Dave Mayer

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1370 Post(s)
Liked 475 Times in 277 Posts
Originally Posted by HillRider
I consider the "current generation" of hubs to include Shimano (ands the sole survivor of Campy's individual hub line) cup-and-cone bearing hubs with decent seals and grease lubing.

With only periodic (read yearly) maintenance, they will last for years and years and 10's of thousands of miles. Even the Tiagra-level hubs on my rain bike show no wear or damage after two years of nothing but abuse and only one overhaul. I have a pair of 7400-series Dura Ace hubs with over 50,000 miles and the original cones, races and freehub body are still in excellent condition. I also have a pair of Campy Chorus hubs with over 20,000 miles and at their last overhaul a couple of months ago were in perfect condition.
Amen. I have 7400 hubs as well that refuse to die. To summarize my experiences with the traditional 'cup 'n cone' vs: cartridge bearing hubs:

Positives with Shimano cup 'n cone:
  • Shimano hubs have an indefinite lifespan if serviced on a regular basis
  • Shimano hubs are generally better sealed against water intrusion than cartridge-bearing hubs
  • The freehub can be replaced - for free or next to it. Your local shop has a pile of mountain bike wheels wrecked from curb jumping from which the freehubs can be scavenged.
  • The cones can be obtained from salvaged hubs or for cheap from Ebay or the catalogues. You can get a complete 7400 axle assembly new for about $20. Shimano hub parts are available everywhere.
  • The balls are standard sizes that can be sourced for a couple of bucks per wheel
  • The ball cups can be replaced too. I have punched these out an replaced these on Dura-Ace hubs.
Negatives with crappy cartridge-bearing hubs:
  • The air-dams on the cartridges were never meant to keep water out of the insides. In fact, due to wicking, they may encourage water to get inside. Once the water gets inside the catridges, it stays there until the bearings are a rusted mess.
  • The cartridges may not be possible to get out due to special manufacturing processes. I have pulled dozens of catridges out of dozens of hubs in my day, but some simply are not meant to be extracted. Or the extraction requires expensive custom tools, or for the hubs to be returned to the maker.
  • When you try to find new catridges - what then..? You're going to pour through catalogues to source some obscure 6076 X2RS bearing only made in in small batches by Buddhist monks in Nepal? If cartridge bearings are so supposed to be so standardized, then why do some manufacturers insist on spec'ing crazy rare bearings?
  • Why will your local shop charge you $25 for a pair of cartridges that you should be able to buy wholesale for $5.
  • When you try and extract them, the cartridges will be corroded shut into the hub shells
  • Or the hub shells will be ovalized and the cartridges cannot seat correctly. Possibly this is due to an impact or improper installation or extraction.

Anyway, Mid-range Shimano hubs are the solution. The boutique hubs are simply an expensive and misguided vanity.