View Single Post
Old 10-31-12, 02:41 PM
waynesulak

Bikes: Custom 650B tandem by Bob Brown, 650B tandem converted from Santana Arriva, Santana Noventa, Boulder Bicycle 700C, Gunnar Sport

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Esteban58
Newbie-ish question here:

The one thing that concerns me about electronic shifting is dealing with failures 'in the sticks'... Aside from the battery dying, where the obvious solution is to carry a spare, if the circuitry itself fails, are you stuck? How would you deal with that?

I suppose that's not much different then some catastrophic cable failure on a mechanical system, but I'd like to hear how people plan for this (if they do...).

thanks!
I deal with it by carrying one spare derailleur cable and one brake cable. I suppose for Di2 I should be a spare wiring harness? battery? Our tandem has no following car, sometimes goes where there is no cell service, and there is no one at home to call anyway (she is on the back of the tandem). Of course there are friends and relatives, only a few of which have an appropriate vehicle, but I have an aversion to making them take hours out of their day to bail us out of a bike maintenance issue.