View Single Post
Old 10-31-12, 02:51 PM
lhbernhardt
Dharma Dog

Bikes: Rodriguez Shiftless street fixie with S&S couplers, Kuwahara tandem, Trek carbon, Dolan track

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Will you be riding it in the Minnesota winter?

In my opinion, electronic shifting is useful in three circumstances:

1. On a time trial bike, where you can set up satellite shift buttons at the brake levers and at the ends of the aero bars, allowing you to shift gears without changing hand positions, thus maintaining your aero position while on the aero bars, or allowing you to shift even while you are climbing or cornering with the hands out on the brakes.

2. On cold rides, where your hands get too cold to work the mechanical shift levers on the brifters. Shimano front derailleurs especially tend to get a bit "sticky" and hard to shift, especially when your hands are frozen.

3. I think it's also useful if you're usng mechanical Shimano shifters, since they are so badly designed from an ergonomic standpoint. For example, when you move a Campag shift lever (either direction), the thing shifts. Right now. With Shimano, if you're downshifting, it shifts right away. But upshifting is actually a two-step movement - the thing only shifts on the release step: click (no shift yet), release (now it shifts). This is why I would never use mechanical Shimano shifters. But I think Di2 fixes this.

My recommendation: go ride a fixie and get out of this stupid and constant corporate marketing/upgrading cycle. Turn to Buddhism and learn to forego desire. Save your money. Just my two bits...

Luis