Old 10-31-12, 03:22 PM
UniGeezer
Not "2" Tired

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 12 Posts
Super steep training hill! Steeper than Fargo!

Humongous Halloween Uni climb in San Pedro this morning, 10.31.12. This one rivals Fargo for sheer steepness, but it's a narrow walkway so there's no way to "zig zag", and must be ridden straight up! I measured the distance by gps at about 250 feet, with elevation gain at a whopping 102 feet! According to this calculator, that translates to a massive 41% grade!

I'm pretty sure the walkway is less than that, but it sure felt at least as steep as Fargo's 33% grade, even though this walkway is half that distance. Whatever the actual number is, it's a steep mutha, and a GREAT training hill!

The last time I was there and tried it, I failed less than halfway up as I lost momentum and stalled. This morning I went back but with the same light weight road tire I used for my Fargo climb. I had just filmed my first attempt using my tripod, which couldn't capture the whole climb. I was just about to leave when local came along and offered to film me, and followed me all the way up!

I'm sure this could also be done on a bike, and makes a fantastic training climb!

Last edited by UniGeezer; 10-31-12 at 03:28 PM.