Chris516
24-Speed Machine

Bikes: 2003 Specialized Allez 24-Speed Road Bike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Rootman
This has probably been said before but it just came to mind last night on my favorite route.

I've been lucky and have not had a flat or accident since really starting to bike last spring. I already carry a cell phone so help is only a call away. But I've often wondered how I would get my wife to where I'm at should I a pickup? She's not that good with navigating, she can read a map but to just drive to a place without specific directions is hard for her. Printed maps came to mind. I generate a route on ridewithgps or even Google maps, print it out then divide up the route into arbitrary numbers, one per road section and label the map. I made 2 copies, keep one with me and give her one. Should I need a pickup I can call and tell her "I'm on section 19" or whatever, she immediately has an idea of where I'm at and how to get there to pick me up. Even if I deviate I can get her close to where I'm at and talk her the rest of the way there.

Simple idea, might help someone out.
I usually cross-reference between Google Maps, and RWGPS. They both have a problem. I did a road/bike map on Google, which would have me staying on a road, that converts to bike-only. This bike-only portion of the same map, does not show up on RWGPS. Conversely, I did a 35+mi. bike ride one-way to an early evening biking event last use Google Maps only. Near the end of the ride, I came upon a major construction zone, that was obviously not noted on Google Maps, and maybe RWGPS would have routed me a different way.

I guess it comes down to, making sure, you don't have a crash 'off the beaten path'. Several years ago, There was a collision on a local MUP. Both people(don't recall if it was two cyclists' that collided, or a cyclist that ran into a pedestrian) were not in any shape to call for help. Other users of the MUP, who came upon the accident, had to do it for them.