Old 11-01-12, 09:57 PM
benajah
One legged rider

Bikes: Kuota Kharma, Surly LHT, CAAD9, Bianchi fg/ss

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Sounds interesting. And I don't know how active you are walking. I do a lot of hiking, backpacking, rock scrambling, climbing ladders, hopping fences, hunting, fishing, sailing (which is actually pretty athletic believe it or not) and doing construction work....basically I don't live any differently than before I lost my leg other than being slower and can't go as far or carry as much weight.so I might field the question "how exactly do you define walking".
they may well be thinking of 80 year old diabetics.
i tried on a new check socket with my prosthetist the other day, who is also a good friend of mine, and I started doing vertical jumps in the office to make sure I didn't bottom out. Something dawned on me and I asked him if many of his patients did vertical jumps to test fit. He said "no, pretty much I've never even heard of anyone doing that".
only thing I'm saying is keep in mind that 99.5% of amputees are inactive people. Sometimes it might be worth looking at it the same way you look at technology, being a bit cautious of being an eearly adopter. Read up on the tech and if it seems like it will fit your needs, and you don't feel like if it's a bad choice you are stuck with it, go for it. It's the only way things get tested.
of course I have to admit I'm biased. I'm by nature leery of really new stuff, and I may subconciously just be wanting to see someone else use it before I go begging for one.

So how do you release from a magnet?

Seems like if you still have a pin, and a hole in the bottom of the socket, then if it doesn't work well the it's a fairly easy switch back to a pin lock?