Old 08-19-05, 12:37 PM
Juniper
Digs technical steeps

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by PoorBehavior
Sounds like I am going to get a beating. Cool.
Do you guys use a larger front tire? I was considering picking something up in the 2.5 range to help absorb some of the impacts. I am still a little worried about log obsticles and such more than a foot high and the impact on the way down.
You might get a little more of a beating but that will largely depend on how effectively you use the parts of your body in place of the fork and shock. When I first started riding mtb over 20 yrs ago full-rigid was all there was (well, we did have rather forgiving cro-mo frames) and suspension wasn't even being experimented with yet (the first attempts came soon, though). I rode everything I ride today (I don't do big jumps).

There is no doubt suspension makes it much easier to go over the rough stuff. I'm not sure that's always a good thing, though; but to each their own. I rode all those years on that full-rigid and now ride a hardtail. My friend rides a FS having moved there quickly from a HT. I am absoultely positive I am a much better rider because I learned all of the little body pushes and weight shifting nuances that were necessary to ride a full rigid well. All my friend really has to do is sit and let the bike absorb the dips, roots and rocks. A side benefit of having to use your whole body is you'll get a better workout of your muscles, too.

One reason I still ride a HT (and my full rigid, occassionally) is because I like the whole finesse side of the sport; every ride is almost a micro-session of trials riding. I ride a FS when I want to just settle in and enjoy the ride.

I've rambled. Short answer: Work on your balance; work on using your body as suspension; work on those little nudges, unweightings, and pushes to get you over the roots that you are used to rolling over with suspension. Try to let the bumps flow through your body rather than into it. And, yes; on my full-rigid I run a larger tire in front (not everyone does but I definately prefer it).

Have fun!