Old 11-03-12, 08:50 PM
teacherlady

Bikes: Enough

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 4 Posts
Bones knit. Life gets better.

5 months and two weeks ago I picked up my beautiful new bike with the custom frame, my first ever bike that really fit. 5 months, 1 week, and 1 day ago, I had gotten everything on the new bike dialled in perfectly, and rode a spectacular 20 miles at sunset. (The ride is called the Paradise loop, and not just because it's on Paradise Drive!) 5 months and 1 week ago, I was about two miles into the first really long ride I had planned on the new bike when I crashed big time. I was unconscious, but the first good samaritan was a cyclist, and the ambulance took my bike to the hospital with me. There's a non-structural dent in the top tube (hurray for steel), and some scuffs on the brake hoods, but the bike was okay. I wasn't: 13 fractures, and some internal injuries. I have a non-structural dent in my clavicle, as well as multiple non-structural dents in ribs.

My orthopedist is a bicyclist, and with his permission, I was back on my bike, albeit slowly and carefully, at 7 weeks post-crash. I went very slowly at first. I didn't wear cleats for another 6 weeks. I really didn't want to fall again, even at 0 mph! By the end of the summer, I had put a 1000 miles post crash on the new bike, and had gotten the endurance back for long flat rides. By the beginning of October, I'd gotten my hill climbing legs mostly back. I did _my_ version of a recovery ride, a recovery celebration, on October 6th at a spectacular metric century -- and on October 7 I went to the emergency room with a small bowel obstruction.

Once again, I'm back on the bike, clawing my way back to fitness. I did a flat 20 miles today for the first time since surgery 3 and a half weeks ago. It felt great, especially as I've been afraid I wouldn't have the physical energy to both commute by bike and teach all day.

So what's the point of this long digression about me, when I meant to offer sympathy and hope to you? I guess I want to remind us both that s*** happens, but recovery happens as well. Clavicles aren't terribly delicate, but wrists can be. Don't push your recovery so much you end up slowing it down.

Tib-fib, that's another story. I broke those about 12 years ago. The injury was far less severe, never life threatening, but the recovery was much slower, at least a year till I was mostly recovered. Of course, I wasn't cycling then.