Old 11-04-12, 11:13 AM
Big Lew
Fraser Valley Dave

Bikes: devinci monaco (upgraded)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Most of my 56 years of outdoor activity, including cycling, backpacking, canoeing, and horseback riding, has/is in bear country. Some of the advise given here is good, just remember bears have an incredible nose. The cardinal rule is always place any foodstuffs, including cookware that might have the faintest residual odor, either up high, in a secure bear-proof box, or failing that, far from your sleeping quarters. Never cook your meals close to, or in your tent. Remember that even your clothes can retain cooking smells such as grease, and never store snacks with you in your tent, even wrapped candy bars etc. Bears accustomed to human activity and campgrounds where they have found food in the past are the most potentially dangerous. (My brothers and I camped several times in a high risk area frequented by numerous black bears and were never molested, we believe because of practicing the 'cardinal rule', and we also found a large old stump far from camp and dumped the oily contents from a sardine can into the hollow center. This entertained the bears for hours.)