View Single Post
Old 11-04-12, 09:50 PM
cyclops
Dismember

Bikes: Jamis 2008 Komodo, 40's Malvern Star 16" my 1st! , 58 Malvern Star 28", (gave it to the LBS for display), Voodoo Wanga SS, Voodoo Bokor commuter, Wilier Triestina Lavaredo, Kojima Condor 80's resto roadie.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by madzuka
Hello all,
I have a 2001 TREK 8000 HT with Rock Shox Sid SL fork, Avid brakes, and a mix of Shimano Deore LX and XT componets. I love the bike, it fits me great, but it shifts terribly even after tuneup and the brakes are shot. The componets just seem tired to me. I was just considering an overhaul of some degree to get her up and running so I can hang with the pretty bikes. does any one have any suggestions? I don't trust my local shop because they do sub-par service work. I am avoiding buying a new bike right now but if you think that is truly my best option than let me know please. Thanks.
If you've been using it as intended then, yes those components probably are shot. 11 years is a good run out of parts and a bike. I do my own and my family's builds and its rarely if ever cheaper than store bought, no matter how hard I shop around. What I do get is satisfaction and the family gets bespoke cycles, always cool.

So ask yourself, what do you want? A functional mountain bike with the latest tech, (disc brakes! Joy!), or the satisfaction (and horror) of doing it yourself to an old favourite?

I'd be looking at a yr12 model on closeout myself.