View Single Post
Old 11-05-12, 11:51 PM
____asdfghjkl

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Frankenbike for cross? Help? tips?

Been getting miles on my new road bike and have always wanted to compete in cross.

Finding a bike in my size was already difficult. I have a 43cm with 650c wheels and even during the fitting they had to jam the stem all the way down.

I have a single speed I built up but I ended up giving to my brother because it was too big. It was a 49cm with 700c wheels with annoying toe overlap.

I have a old Schwinn Caliente that I converted years ago to a single speed because I got tired of the shifting not working. I used to commute on it until I got a new road bike recently. So now the Caliente is just sitting and in the garage so maybe it can be good to build a frankebike for cross? The bike as 24" wheels. Would I put 24" wheels or even be able to put 650b wheels on it? Would I have to get a new fork? The caliente is a tank though.

I suppose my other option is to look on CL and find a frame small enough for me and build up from there? It could be a fun project. I have heard that I should just find a mountain bike frame and do that instead of the Schwinn. I've never seen a mountain bike with drop bars either...can you do that?

I'm not interested in getting a new bike right now. people have suggested getting the Redline Conquest 24 but I've also heard it would be a disadvantage (not that I care) in competing with the 24" wheels, is that true? I've been on the smallest surly crosscheck and long haul and even they were too big.

I probably won't have anyone to help me with this project since no one I knows enjoy bikes the same way I do. I honestly don't know where to start though, like what parts to get and what not.