Old 11-06-12, 02:00 PM
Krenovian

Bikes: Hers: Volagi Liscio, Kestrel 200 SCI, Niner Jet9 RDO, Ellsworth Truth. His: Kestrel 200 EMS, Niner Jet9, Psyclewerks Wild Hare. Ours: Paketa V2

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by rdtompki
We're in a similar situation. Our VW Jetta wagon is approaching 300K miles. This has been a great tandem transporter, getting 36 mpg with the tandem on the roof at 75 mph (it's a diesel). We would like something a bit larger, but if the size works for folks it's very easy to get the tandem on the low roof: either just lift the tandem in place or use the pivoting front fork mount.
We were really disappointed in our 2005 Jetta TDI Wagon when we "only" got 34 mpg traveling I-15 at 75 mph with the air conditioning on and 4 bikes on the roof. First time we'd ever gotten less than 40 mpg. Saw 52 mpg with the air conditoning on and two bikes on the roof traveling east through the Columbia River Gorge at 60 mph. I think we must have had a pretty good tailwind. We routinely get 44-46 mpg w/o bikes. As rdtompki says, easy to get bikes on and off the roof. Comfortable for long trips. Plenty of get up and go from the TDI engine. My wife calls it her little go kart. She says it is so much sportier than her Outback was in terms of acceleration and handling. You might find it a bit space challeneged if you are used to the Sienna though. Our TDI is just getting broken in at 100,000 plus miles. I think the new model TDIs, 2010 on, don't get quite the same mileage.

My preference when it comes to hauling bikes is to have them inside the vehicle. Even on the roof they seem to get pretty dirty when traveling longer distances and that is much worse in my experience when you haul them on the back of a vehicle. I too worry about a rear ender destroying the bike when hauled on the back.

Curtis