View Single Post
Old 11-07-12, 09:57 AM
Altair 4

Bikes: 2011 Novara Forza Hybrid, 2005 Trek 820, 1989 Cannondale SR500 Black Lightning, 1975 Mundo Cycles Caloi Racer

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 258 Post(s)
Liked 291 Times in 157 Posts
Originally Posted by MAK
I currently have a hybrid that I've installed a Racktime AddIt rack on that I use for light commuting. So far it's been great with no complaints. I'm currently setting up a touring bike and saw that Racktime makes both an AddIt and a TourIt rack that seem very similar. Yes, the support rail shape is a bit different but they both have side rails (which I really like), both mount with identical hardware, and both have the same rated weight capacity. It appears that the TourIt is about a half pound heavier and a bit more money, although not a significant amount.

Is there a performance, quality, or functionality difference that I'm missing? Any input or comments would be appreciated.

I can't examine the TourIt because no one around here sells them so they would have to be ordered.

BTW...I'm not using the hybrid for touring because it weighs +/-40 lbs. with the rack on it and it's a load to go up hills even with its mountain gearing. I'd also prefer drop bars for longer distances.

Thank you.

I have the RackTime TourIt on my hybrid. I did a short three day tour with a pair of Ortlieb Classic rear rollers and had no problem installing the rack or mounting the panniers. My buddy has the RackTime AddIt rack and had a set of Vaude panniers on it. He didn't have any problems, either. Is the TourIt still available in the US? It seemed like it disappeared from a lot of vendors websites.

Originally Posted by wahoonc
Somewhere I have seen measured drawings of the Racktime Racks. Can't find them at the moment, but I have printed copies at home that I will check on when I get a chance. I suspect the Tourit rack has the extra bracing to keep the bags steady and "may" mount the bags a bit further back to avoid heel strike.

Aaron
Racktime used to have the plans for all of their racks on their website, but it looks like they're gone now.

I have an accessory on my TourIt - a spring-loaded clip on the top called a ClampIt (Jed? Jethro?). http://www.racktime.com/product.php?xn=30 I like it because I can place a folded jacket or other stuff under it without actually having a pannier on the rack. I never found an air pump that would fit on the pegs of my TourIt. I'd like to, though.